Sync Your Computers
Have you ever had files on multiple computers and faced the chore of emailing, using thumb drives, or burning CD’s to move files back and forth? Even if you have worked out a time-consuming system to do this, how organized was it? Did you know which directory to go to on which machine to find files? Did you know where the latest version was located?
In researching different mechanisms for file sharing and for online backups, I found Dropbox to be the type of application that I just had to tell all my friends about. It’s perfect to sync your computers.
1. Sign up for a FREE account and get 4G of storage online. (in the cloud) Use this referral link and get an EXTRA 250Mb free. http://www.dropbox.com
2. Link all desired computers to this account. Any files you put into the DropBox folder will be updated on all computers.
Reason this rocks and can help your productivity:
- Keep a consistent ordering of directories and files on each machine. (my favorite feature)
- If your hard drive fails – you have a back up of your important files.
- You can sync your song files
- Create links to files you wish to share with others
- Recover stolen laptops by uploading files to drop box that synch when the thief connect your laptop to the internet – capturing their keystrokes
- You can set up one development environment and have i be consistent as you move form one computer to another
Some write that they are concerned about security. The company claims to keep your information private by encrypting it. If you are really concerned, you can still use it, just implement your own security encryption as well.